Friday, September 24, 2010

Unions

I've never figured labor unions for angels, but it is a sacred principle in our family that one does not cross a picket line.  Picketers are risking their own livelihoods for a chance at a better work environment using the one advantage they have over corporations -- collectivity.  Whether we agree with the union's goals or not, I teach my children, we must respect the risks they are taking and honor their struggle.

Or so I thought.  I have to say that this Daily Show segment, in which we learn that a UFCW local is hiring temporary picketers at non-union wages, was an eye-opener for me.  Kudos to Comedy Central for providing actual investigative journalism.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Working Stiffed
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Ironically, Glenn Beck went on his radio show recently to suggest that "The Rally to Restore Sanity" (and "The March to Keep Fear Alive") is part of a labor union plot to mobilize young voters. I guess no one showed him this segment.

Lori said...

Oh my...love the look on the Union guy's face. Had to share this on FB.